Our Super Dips take on a classic, French Onion Soup. This easy crowd pleaser will be a favourite at any family gathering. Featuring Super Dips Supreme Onion & Maple Garlic Dip Blends.
French Onion Soup Casserole
Recipe by Arlene Oosterhoff
1/4 cup unsalted butter
3 lbs Vidalia onions, thinly sliced (about 5 medium)
2 tbsp. Supreme Onion Super Dips Blend
1 tsp. Maple Garlic Super Dips Blend
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 sprigs thyme
2 bay leaves
1 baguette, thinly sliced
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups low sodium beef broth*
1/2 cup sherry (Optional – if omitted, increase broth to 3 1/2c)
2 cups Gruyere cheese, grated
*You can substitute Campbell’s Beef Broth with Red Wine
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot over medium-low heat. Once melted, add onions, Supreme Onion blend, Maple Garlic blend, pepper, thyme, and bay leaves. Stirring frequently, cook until the onions are golden brown, about 40-50 minutes.
- Arrange baguette slices on a baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted, 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Remove the sprigs and bay leaves from the onion mixture.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir for 2 minutes. Add in broth and sherry and bring to a boil. Continue stirring until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Layer half of the baguette slices in a 9x13-inch baking dish. Spoon onion mixture over the top. Top with remaining baguette slices and sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover the dish tightly with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil, and broil on high until cheese is golden brown and bubbly, 3-5 minutes.
Back to Super Dips Recipes